Dental Sealants in Mesa, AZ
Preventing oral health problems from developing is the best way to keep your smile healthy and strong throughout your life. While brushing and flossing at home every day is certainly an important part of caring for your teeth, good oral health habits are sometimes not enough to ward off common dental concerns, such as cavities.
The good news is that there are easy steps you can take to provide extra protection for your teeth, including having dental sealants placed on your back teeth. Here’s what you should know about dental sealants before scheduling your next appointment with the friendly team at Restoration Dental.
Restore Your Trust . . . Restore Your Confidence . . . Restore Your Smile
Restoration Dental: Dependably Providing the Highest Standard of Care
What Are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are a thin protective coating that is applied to the surface of one’s molars to prevent tooth decay from developing. Cavities often form in the cracks and crevices of back teeth when food particles or bacteria are not thoroughly removed during at-home brushing. By having dental sealants applied to these vulnerable locations, your teeth will have an added protective layer, which can keep tooth decay at bay.
How Are Tooth Sealants Applied?
Having tooth sealants applied to your molars couldn’t be simpler. Because it’s so fast, painless, and convenient, many patients choose to have it done during their regular six-month dental checkup. Here’s what you can expect during your tooth sealant treatment at Restoration Dental:
- The dentist will perform an oral exam to ensure that your teeth are in good condition.
- Then, they will dry the surface of your teeth.
- Next, they will gently roughen the surface of your teeth in preparation for the sealants to be applied.
- They’ll clean and dry your teeth one more time, then apply the sealant solution onto your teeth.
- Finally, they’ll use a special LED light to help the cavity prevention sealants harden for thirty seconds.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Any person could benefit from dental sealants, no matter what their age or oral health history may be. While this is true, tooth sealants are particularly beneficial to individuals who are still learning good oral health habits or who are inconsistent about their dental practices, such as children and people with disabilities. Dental sealants can provide many benefits, including:
- Preventing cavities from forming
- Being an affordable, painless preventative dental treatment
- Being natural-looking and discreet
- Lasting many years with good oral hygiene habits
How Do You Care for Tooth Sealants?
After you’ve had dental sealants placed, it’s important to care for them, so that they can continue to protect your back teeth from tooth decay for years to come. Tips to care for your tooth sealants include:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day
- Avoid consuming foods that are difficult to remove from your teeth, such as toffee
- Visit the dentist every six months for routine exams and professional cleanings
How Much Do Dental Sealants Cost?
Your dental insurance plan may cover the cost of your dental sealant treatment. For more information on what your particular dental insurance policy includes, please contact our office during business hours.
Cavity Prevention Sealant in Mesa, AZ
The compassionate team at Restoration Dental wants to help everyone in your family keep their smiles cavity-free. If it’s been a while since you or your child has been to the dentist, there’s no better time than now to schedule a routine dental exam and learn more about dental sealants could benefit your oral health in the long run. In as little as one convenient appointment, you can give your teeth the protection they need to stay healthy and strong. Contact us today to see how simple caring for your smile can be!