Missing teeth are among the most common dental problems that affect people of all ages. While many people assume that missing teeth are merely a cosmetic dental concern, they can actually lead to more serious oral health problems. For this reason, it’s important to replace teeth that are missing or severely damaged as quickly as possible. Fortunately, there are many tooth replacement options that can restore the function, aesthetic, and overall health of your smile quickly and affordably. Before scheduling your initial consultation with the trusted team at Restoration Dental, here’s what you need to know about why you shouldn’t ignore missing teeth.
What Happens When You’re Missing a Tooth for an Extended Period of Time?
Believe it or not, missing teeth are a serious dental issue. Of course, a missing tooth can have a negative effect on the way your smile looks, but this isn’t the only issue it can lead to. When left for an extended period of time, a missing tooth can cause the following:
- Jaw bone loss can affect the appearance and function of your facial structure. If you choose to get dental implants after bone loss, you’ll also have to get a bone graft to support them effectively.
- The remaining teeth shift into the empty space. This creates more gaps in your smile which can lead to other oral health issues, just as tooth decay, since it will be easier for food particles to get trapped between your teeth.
- An increased risk for gum disease is caused by the gap in your smile, allowing for more plaque and tartar buildup on the surrounding teeth. Periodontal disease can lead to additional tooth loss and health-related issues such as heart disease.
Tooth Replacement Options
While missing teeth can lead to other serious oral health problems, including gum disease or jaw bone loss, the good news is that there are a variety of tooth replacement options available that can help you restore the health, function, and of your smile. At our Mesa, AZ, dental practice, we’re proud to provide many treatment options to meet your dental needs. Popular choices include:
- Dental Bridges: These are made up of a prosthetic tooth that is held into place by two dental crowns that are placed over the adjacent teeth on either side of the gap caused by the missing tooth. They’re a natural-looking tooth replacement option that can last over a decade without needing to be replaced with good oral hygiene habits.
- Dental Implants: These screw-shaped titanium rods replace the roots of missing teeth. Over time, the implant will fuse with the bone, providing a strong foundation for an abutment attached to a tooth-colored dental crown. Because they are permanent, implants look and feel like the rest of your teeth, don’t have to be replaced, and are as convenient to care for as healthy teeth.
- Dentures: These are made up of prosthetic teeth and gums that replace a full set of upper or lower teeth. They are made to fit over your gums and are held in place using adhesive glue. They’re an affordable option to restore the normal function and appearance of your smile with a full set. Because they don’t prevent bone erosion, they will eventually need to be adjusted or replaced over time.
Restore Your Missing Teeth at Restoration Dental
Living with missing teeth isn’t easy. Along with making it harder to chew efficiently, speak clearly, and smile confidently, missing teeth can lead to other dental concerns that can be even more uncomfortable and expensive to resolve. The good news is that you don’t have to live with missing or damaged teeth forever. At Restoration Dental, our experienced team can help you restore your smile quickly and conveniently with a variety of replacement solutions. We’re eager to provide outstanding dental care in a professional, comfortable environment. If you have an oral health problem, such as a missing tooth, don’t wait until it progresses into a dental emergency to do something about it. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about how a dental bridge, implants, or dentures could change your life for the better.
I am Dr. Fadi Naioom, a dedicated dentist who graduated with a Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from the Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health in 2014. After realizing my dream of opening my own dental office in Phoenix Valley amidst the 2020 pandemic, I have committed myself to delivering personalized, comprehensive dental care to my patients. Beyond dentistry, I am a family man and a movie enthusiast, appreciating every moment I spend with my wife Mary and our two children, Micah and Emma.